The Derm Group urges our patients to schedule their skin cancer screening examinations. Early detection – and awareness of how to live “sun smart” are the keys to beating this disease. Please visit www.livesunsmart.org for even more information on how to enjoy the sun without increasing your risk for melanoma.
- Melanoma is the fastest growing cancer in the U.S.
- One American dies of melanoma every hour
- One in 50 Americans has a lifetime risk of developing melanoma
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29
- If caught in early stages, melanoma has a survival rate of 100%
- The majority of melanoma is caused by UV light and sun exposure
- Tanning beds can increase the risk of developing melanoma by 75%