Dermal Fillers Best For:
- Nasolabial folds
- Under-eye hollowness (tear trough)
- Adding volume to lips and cheeks
Procedure Time:About 10-30 min
Reducing fine lines and wrinkles with dermal fillers can create contours that help your face look more youthful. JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, other products add volume to specific areas when injected by the highly trained specialists at The Derm Group.
Understanding Your Treatment
The aging process, along with sun exposure, results in the loss of collagen and elastin. Wrinkles and fine lines develop, cheeks droop, and lips begin to thin. Filler injections to areas such as the cheeks, under the eyes, around the mouth, and the lips restore volume and create a smoother, more youthful appearance. When injected into facial folds or creases, the filler produces a “plumping effect” that softens wrinkles and creates a smoother complexion.
Your treatment professional will carefully evaluate your skin characteristics and treatment concerns to ensure the most pleasing results.
Which Filler Is Right for You?
There are a number of options when it comes to choosing dermal fillers. Different brands and fillers made with different active ingredients allow patients and providers to customize treatments to address specific areas and achieve optimal results. Having board-certified physicians at The Derm Group consult with you about the advantages and drawbacks of different fillers is the best way to know which treatment to pursue.
It’s important to match your cosmetic goals with the type of filler used. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® vary in particle size, which affects the treatment indication as well as the duration of results. Typically, a thicker formulation such as Restylane Lyft (formerly Perlane) may be recommended for adding volume to the lips and cheeks while thinner formulations are common choices for acne scars or wrinkles—especially vertical lines around the mouth.
Those who are looking for longer-lasting results may opt for Sculptra® or RADIESSE®. Sculptra contains a synthetic agent known as poly-L-lactic acid that helps replace lost collagen gradually over time for improvements that can last up to 2 years. This formula is especially effective for nasolabial folds or “laugh lines.” RADIESSE is another long-lasting filler; it is made from calcium-based microspheres suspended in a gel carrier that provides enhanced volume for 12 to 18 months. JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® is designed to restore volume to cheeks that appear sunken or flat and can also last for up to 24 months.
- JUVÉDERM XC/ JUVÉDERM ULTRA XC: This versatile product can smooth fine lines, wrinkles, and deep folds. JUVÉDERM XC is a popular option for filling vertical lip lines and plumping lips. Like virtually all fillers, it is infused with lidocaine to improve comfort during treatment. Results typically last about 6 months to 1 year.
- JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC: VOLUMA was the first filler approved by the FDA to immediately add volume to the cheek area. Age-related volume loss in the cheeks can result in a flattened or sunken appearance. VOLUMA provides a subtle, natural-looking lift that helps restore volume and add contour for a more youthful profile. Clinical trials show VOLUMA results can last up to 2 years.
- JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC: This hyaluronic acid-based filler specifically targets both the lines around the lips and the lips themselves. People with naturally thin lips or whose lips have lost volume with age can benefit from VOLBELLA injections. Our expert injectors use VOLBELLA conservatively to avoid results that look unnatural. Since the product is formulated with lidocaine, the injections are quite comfortable. Results can last up to 12 months.
- JUVÉDERM VOLLURE®: One of the newest fillers from JUVÉDERM, VOLLURE combines the lifting effects of JUVÉDERM XC and Ultra with the longer duration of VOLUMA. This results in a more versatile cohesive gel that’s sturdy enough to fill wrinkles but soft enough to look natural with changing facial expressions. VOLLURE can last up to 18 months as demonstrated in a clinical study.
As with JUVÉDERM fillers, Restylane uses crosslinking technology to create a smooth gel filler. Each Restylane product is specially formulated for a different indication, and these products work beautifully with one another for comprehensive results.
- Restylane: This filler adds fullness and corrects moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. Results can last up to a year, depending on the area treated.
- Restylane® Silk: Specifically formulated to create fuller lips and to minimize lines and wrinkles around the mouth, Restylane Silk has a softer consistency to produce a more natural look. The results can last for about 6 months.
- Restylane® Lyft: Similar to VOLUMA, Lyft is used to add volume along the cheekbones and to lift jowls. It lasts for about a year.
- Restylane® Refyne and Defyne: Approved by the FDA in 2016, these fillers are uniquely formulated to minimize lines, folds, and wrinkles that form from repeated facial expressions.
Unlike the JUVÉDERM and Restylane products, Sculptra is not made using hyaluronic acid. Instead, Sculptra contains a synthetic agent known as poly-L-lactic acid that helps replace lost collagen gradually over time for improvements that can last up to 2 years. It can add volume to the cheeks, temples, smile lines, and marionette lines. Most patients require 2 to 3 different treatment sessions to build up to the desired effect.
How Much Do Fillers Cost?
The cost of filler injections varies depending on the product or products used and the extent of your treatment.
Prices for dermal fillers at the Derm Group vary by location and product. Please call to check.
Dermal Fillers Treatment Locations
RADIESSE is another long-lasting filler; it is made from calcium-based microspheres suspended in a gel carrier and provides enhanced volume for 12 to 18 months.
Lip Augmentation Using Fillers
Fuller lips can appear more sensuous, and fillers can be an excellent way to achieve your cosmetic goals. We offer fillers specifically designed for lip augmentation, including JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA and Restylane Silk. Even though both are formulated using hyaluronic acid, they produce distinct outcomes, and our specialists can recommend the one best suited for your goals.
Lip Filler FAQ
What if I don’t like the results?
With hyaluronic acid fillers, we can reverse the results using an enzyme called hyaluronidase to break up the particles and accelerate the rate at which the fillers break down.
Can I kiss after getting lip fillers?
Other than a quick peck, we recommend waiting 48 hours before kissing your partner passionately. It’s also a good idea to avoid using straws during the first couple of days after the injections.
How many treatments do I need?
If you’re new to lips fillers, it’s best to enhance the lips gradually. A series of 2 or 3 appointments can create results that are both subtle and noticeable.
How long do lip fillers last?
Both VOLBELLA and Silk last about 6 to 12 months.
Because fillers and neuromodulators like BOTOX® Cosmetic provide complementary results, we can give patients a nonsurgical liquid facelift by combining these injectable treatments. This facial rejuvenation procedure can restore volume to the brow area, cheeks, jawline, and chin while relaxing lines and wrinkles on the forehead, around the eyes, and on the neck.
Tear Trough Correction With Dermal Fillers
Natural aging and genetics can cause sunken areas to form between the lower eyelid and upper cheek called tear troughs that make people look tired. Dermal fillers can be used to fill out this area and restore a more youthful, rested look. Because the skin is very thin and delicate in this area, it’s important to choose an experienced practitioner with knowledge of appropriate fillers and injection techniques.
Are Dermal Filler Injections Painful?
Because fillers are mixed with lidocaine, the injections involve minimal discomfort. However, some patients still ask for a topical anesthetic.
Recovery After Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers are minimally invasive treatments that require little to no downtime; there may be some swelling or bruising that resolves on its own.
Are Dermal Fillers Safe?
We use only FDA-approved dermal fillers, which are very safe for properly screened patients. All injectable treatments at The Derm Group are overseen or performed by a board-certified dermatologist for the highest level of safety and precision.
How Long Do Results Last?
The results of dermal filler injections are temporary and generally last between 6 months to a year, but certain brands may produce longer effects.
The Derm Group offers a complete selection of injectable fillers to accommodate a variety of individual preferences. If you have additional questions or would like to speak with one of our board-certified dermatologists, call (973) 571-2121.Back to Top